12/06/2016

Junker Jane Style Art Doll

I've spent this Sunday afternoon playing with fabric and my sewing machine.  I wanted to have a go at making the Junker Jane style art dolls after making the ATC's a couple of weeks ago.  Now I have a stash of fabric which have been left over from other sewing projects and like most artists I hate throwing things away and in this I found some light cream/beige material to make the body.  I added some lace, buttons and a fabric flower which I painted with some acrylic paint.  The arms and the patch on the body are bits of canvas that I painted.  I used embroidery thread for the mouth using back and chain stitch.

The one thing I found with the body material is that it frayed which meant that it didn't hold very well when sewn up - hence the grey patch on the face and the odd stitching on the side.  It was a good learning process as I've never made a doll or any other kind of soft toy.  I think this one will be living with me so it doesn't matter if it's not perfect.


1 comment:

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

This looks fun! Not something I have ever tried, but perhaps I should, now that I have a sewing machine!